The Nessy Learning Programme was the Educational Resources Awards 2010 Winner (special educational needs ICT)
A complete literacy teaching scheme for all ages and abilities, developed at the Bristol Dyslexia Centre.
Nessy is an interactive system of learning based on 40 years of practical teaching by specialist teachers at the Bristol Dyslexia Centre . Nessy follows a tried and tested approach that combines structured incremental phonics linked with language, writing skills and vocabulary development, to create highly effective multisensory learning. Nessy enables students in ages 5-16 of all abilities to read, write and spell with confidence.
'Nessy is the best literacy resource I have come across in over 20 years of teaching.' - TEEM evaluation
Nessy is ideal for teachers who need to provide a complete literacy scheme for students with dyslexia.
The extensive resources are organised into 10 colour-coded islands, which progress from letter sounds to advanced multi-syllabic words.
Nessy Learning Programme:
- integrates planning, group monitoring, record keeping and assessments.
- Teachers are guided with lesson plans, teaching tips and strategies for learning.
- Students are encouraged to mark their own work and take on more responsibility for their own learning, playing games, watching rules and completing interactive worksheets.
- Their efforts are rewarded with Nessy Nuggets, which can be used at an interactive Nessy Fairground.
- The game based learning has proved extremely effective in addressing the needs of disaffected students, motivating and building self-esteem.
- The programme includes an A4 printed teaching manual full of information about dyslexia. It has proved successful with EBD, EAL, Down's Syndrome, Asperger's as well as mainstream students.
- Interactive records, assessments and group monitoring
- 5,000 words and sentences
- 20 computer games
- 25 animated rules
- 70 animated phonemes
- Library of interactive mnemonics and word endings
- 120 lesson plans with strategies for learning
- Facility to record and play games with your own words
- Over 1000 printable games and worksheets
- 40 interactive worksheets
- Interactive comic explains 'What's it like being dyslexic?'
- The Fair - 9 games to maintain motivation
- Printable certificates
- Punctuation, reading accuracy, dictionary skills, grammar
- Writing and planning strategies
The Deluxe version includes 1000s of printable games and worksheets:
- Flash cards
- Word searches
- Speed read
- Sentence picture patch
- Tracking exercises
- …and much more!