Coloured overlays are a Visual Stress and Dyslexia friendly resource. Reading through colour can increase reading speed, improve comprehension whilst making reading more enjoyable.
Tried and tested by tens of thousands of readers since their discovery in the 1980s, coloured overlays in a range of at least ten colours provide a research-based method of addressing the visual difficulties that often occur alongside dyslexia.
They are made of the clearest, scratch-resistant highest quality recyclable PET plastic, and have been used since 2006 by people with reading difficulties caused by Visual Stress.
Benefits of using coloured overlays
- Increase reading speed
- Improve comprehension
- Improve retention
- Reduce glare from page
- Read for longer
- Make reading more comfortable and enjoyable
- Reduce black and white contrast
Page Overlay Features
- Our overlays are made from crystal clear PET plastic. This gives them the greatest clarity and enables them to sit flat on a page. PET plastic is 100% recyclable.
- Each overlay has a gloss side and a matt side for personal preference.
- Available individually, as packs of 5 or packs of 10, in single or mixed colours
- Overlays have rounded corners and measures 216 x 298 mm.
- Really simple to use; just remove from packaging, peel off protective film, place over text and read.
- Winner of SEN Product of the Year (non ICT) - Education Resources Awards 2014
10 scientifically selected colours
- Our 10 colours have been scientifically selected to go evenly around the colour spectrum.
- Our colours are Aqua, Sky, Yellow, Grass, Celery, Jade, Purple, Orange, Pink and Magenta.
- You can combine our overlays to create up to 30 tints.
Protective film to protect each overlay
- Each of our overlays has a protective film to make sure they arrive to you in perfect condition.
- Please remove film before use. Film is on the gloss side of the overlay and can be removed easily by picking at corner of overlay
- Each overlay also comes in a storage slip to keep safe and in good condition.
It is helpful to assess for optimum colour first using our Visual Stress Assessment Pack, as different people find different colours work best for them.
Our current batch of reading rulers and overlays was printed while the "British Dyslexia Association Assured" scheme was running and carries the BDA Assured badge. This was a programme run by the British Dyslexia Association from 2019-2021 which gave the “BDA Assured” badge to resources that were recognised by the BDA as being helpful to people with dyslexia. During that time, Crossbow reading rulers and coloured overlays were part of the scheme.