This set includes all dandelion readers in the Initial Code set, the Extended Code set and the Split Vowel set. Therefore includes 61 books.
Dandelion Readers are a series of decodable phonics based texts based on the progression of the Sounds-Write™ reading and spelling programme. They are primarily for Reception/Year 1 children.
The books have a step by step progression and can be used alongside any phonic programme. Each text is controlled by the phonemic focus in the book and enables the child to practise blending and reading independently at every stage. The texts are not based on repetitive sentences, thus ensuring the readers practise blending the sounds through the word.
The books can be used for groups or individuals. Each book includes a game to ensure stimulating practice of the skills and knowledge introduced at each level.
Dandelion Readers can also be used with reluctant readers in Key Stage 2. The Activity Packs are particularly useful for individual work with pupils experiencing difficulty in the acquisition of literacy.
Initial Code Units 1-10:
- Initial Code Books Units 1 to 10 introduce the basic sounds of the alphabet and can be used to launch children into reading.
- Set 1 of Units 1-10: Uses just five sounds.
- Set 2 of Units 1-10: Adds a further three sounds to set 1.
- Set 3 of Units 1-10: Adds a further four sounds to set 2.
Initial Code Units 11 to 20:
- Introduce digraphs (ch, th, sh, ck, ng, wh, qu, ve) and common word endings (ed, ing, le, tch).
- The Units are available in two parallel sets of ten books, the two books at each level use the same sounds allowing children to read different stories which reinforces learning.
- These books are for use by Reception and Year 1 children, either progressing from Dandelion Readers Units 1 to 20 or as an additional resource in conjunction with any other phonic reading programme.
- Levels 1, 2 and 3 and 4 introduce the learners to the different spellings of a particular vowel sound
Split Vowel Set:
- The Split Vowel reader set offers further reading practice of the tricky vowel set (Magic-E) spellings a-e, e-e, i-e, o-e, u-e; phase 5 of letters and sounds.
- The books can be used alongside any phonics reading programme. The set includes six books: one for each spelling, and a recap book that includes all of them.